Ins and Outs on the Ups and Downs that include some Notes on the Cut, Thrust and Parry that is part of the Great Game--Sexual Politics. And encompassing too Single Men and Women and the Pleasures of Youth.

Thursday

Her great secret

‘I am going to tell you a great secret.’
She murmurs softly to him, in her slightly insane musical tones. He will listen well.
‘I don’t know why I am going to tell you this. But I suppose it is because I know you will go away soon, accustomed as I have grown to you. You will go away soon, and I will leave you with something of me.’
‘You have already. You have given me everything.’ True, no longer was he a boy. She has made him something...something more.
‘No, no, no.’ She shakes her head, remonstrating with him. ‘Not everything. And this...’ She points at the two of them in the mirror overhead, lying naked in the sun, on her bed of black satin sheets, ‘...is not everything. For a woman. Even for me.
Fucking for her, it seems, is not everything. He nods his head, waiting for her to continue…
She doesn’t. The great secret is out. Has been told.